Stay connected

Frome Town 0-4 Hitchin Town – Evo-Stik Southern Premier, Sat. 5th Sept.

Frome Town’s tough start to the season continued with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Hitchin and ultimately a 10 minute spell in the first half proved Frome’s undoing.

The Robins started the game well and a free kick from debutant Darren Jefferies found Tyler Sibbick at the near post, but couldn’t direct his effort goalwards after 9 minutes and a minute later Sibbick beat a defender and drilled the ball across goal but nobody could get on the end of the cross.

The visitors took the lead after 16 minutes with their first real attack as a freekick by Robbie Burns from 25 yards found the top corner of Darren Chitty’s net.

A minute later and the lead was doubled as Frome switched off from a corner and a flick by Jonny McNamara found Burns, who fired home off the underside of the bar.

The two-goal salvo boosted the visitors and after McNamara went through one-on-one with Chitty but was thwarted by the home ‘keeper, another well flighted free-kick found Alasan Ann, who headed home.

Ann almost added a fourth before the break as a header bounced up, only for Chitty to palm it behind for a corner.

After the break Frome looked more positive as another Jefferies free-kick found Steve Hulbert and the centre half’s header was tipped over by Charlie Horlock.

Frome had shouts for a penalty waived away after Rob Hobbs appeared to be tripped in the area and on 63 minutes, the visitors added their fourth goal as a freekick was knocked down by Dan Webb, and McNamara had the easiest of jobs to shoot home.

Lewis Haldane went close with a long range effort that dipped just over the bar, with the visitors going close again through Jack Boyd and Callum Donnelly.

Another good shout for a penalty for the hosts was waived away as Haldane was pushed after a clever run and in the last minute, Frome’s afternoon was summed up as Callum Thompson set up Sibbick and his low effort from close range was saved by Horlock’s feet by his near post.